Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: New Norn Tips?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am 

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I just picked up the core FOTN:R book at PAX East. I'm super excited to run through the beginner saga with some friends and I'm just looking for general tips for a new Norn. What kind of things do you wish you could go back in time and tell yourself? Any common issues to watch out for?

Edit: For context I'm experienced with RPG's like D&D, Pathfinder, FATE etc. All that to say I'm not looking for general GM tips, just things specific to the FOTN:R system.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New Norn Tips?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:06 pm 

things i can say

• It played somewhat similar to D&D4e, at least in combat. that level of tactical detail
  • start at level 8-10. It gets quite convoluted once you are above essence of 3. Just a lot of decisions to make
  • general actions/cinematic actions - use these. Players tend to look at their powers as the only things they can do. make sure to encourage the use of the runes in freeform fashion. "I wish I could X" you should find a way to say yes if you can. I generally go with a no if it explicitly steps on someone else's power, but otherwise Yes with a cost in a rune.
  • the characters are generally tougher than they appear. don't be afraid to push them a little.
  • yes, blood wolf is really that intense. he gets no actions from it, so it's strictly a transform. bear that in mind.
  • same goes for the berserker's bear form.
  • aura is surprisingly powerful at low levels
  • taunt is also very powerful at low levels
  • a little mental damage goes a long ways without house rules. Use it sparingly, but use it a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 pm 

Somewhere Andrew described FotN play as asking "What do I want to do and what runes do I need to play to do it?" This is a very sound approach. Many things can be done with generic actions by playing any rune.

Yes, characters really are *that* heroic. When they start building rune chains on active powers invoking several metas the effect can rapidly escalate. Characters are big damn heroes. Let them play stunts worthy of the epic sagas.

Runes instead of dice opens doors. Beyond the uses in the rules runes can also be used for inspiring creativity. Look at the tradition meanings and New Age divinatory uses of the runes and they make a handy adventure builder.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 am 

Thanks All!

Now that I know the PC's really are supposed to be that powerful, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of crazy stuff they do!