Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

2 questions if I may.

1) How do you go about allowing the Galdr of the group to enchant arms and armor, without it getting so damn broken that nothing can touch him? And for Rune of Mead, for example, how can a Norn contest with that when trying to sneak attack a party?

2) How do Out-of-Combat effects (OoCE) work? For example, Blood-wolf form says the user can transform into a wolf at will, leading to believe we don't have to wyrd for it, but then others, like Aggressive Stance feel like they need to be wyrded for. And going off of the example of Aggressive Stance, how can that OoCE be applied? When the rager did it to intimidate someone, I gave him a bonus to his intimidate check.

who knows much of many things.

The Hávamál, verse 54

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:39 pm 

1) the Galdr gets one instance of the rune he's enchanting per instance of the rune he has on his board. So likely there is only going to be one rune of mead on any person. Secondly, passive rune powers of the same type neutralize each other if within 25', as per the passive power types p92-93. Lastly, I would probably only allow it to work on threats close by and probably only on threats to the person with the rune on them. So, short of it, get yourself a rune of mead and neutralize it.

2) depends on the effect but what you did is what I did. If there are ones that give a nebulous effect like aggressive stance, I generally give them a +1 success on the wyrd for the out of combat effect. I try not to sweat it too much - if multiples apply, I allow it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:32 pm 

So another quick one, Blood-Wolf Form. In combat he becomes a size 6 wolf with all these fancy perks. OOC, it says he becomes a wolf at will. Just a normal wolf. Do you allow the players to be the full blood wolf OOC? And if so, How do you handle the transition from OOC to combat?

who knows much of many things.

The Hávamál, verse 54

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:14 pm 

For the transition of OOC to Combat, I usually ask the player if he want the Active Power at the start. If he says yes, we put the runes in play and he wyrd minus those runes for the first round. If no, then he revert to is human form at the start of the round. This is what I rule with my player at home game. If I'm doing public game / Demo, the Active is reseted at the start of Combat and everyone start with no Active in play.

For the type of wolf, go for the flavor you like in the story. But remind the player that a wolf the size of a horse coming into town will probaly scare most people and town guard might attack and question later ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 pm 

Lanord has everything I would say. I agree fully