Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:26 am 

SO my party of adventurers are really great at selecting things that increase their abilities when shit happens to a teammate, or doing things that effect multiple targets (group heal, group damage, etc) I like the mindset of a unified group, but how can I get around that to give them a truly challenging combat? Isolation is obvious, but hard to do often. Mental damage is helpful, because it can attack in hand, and that is helpful, but not always going to happen. Thoughts?

who knows much of many things.

The Hávamál, verse 54

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:16 am 

Combined arms - make sure you are using range. Use summons. Don't be afraid to hit them pretty hard - these are Mythic Vikings. They are not pansies.

Interesting environments - cover, environmental effects, elevation, etc.

conditions - my bet is your group is not well prepared to deal with them. Taunt plus turn the blade was one that always was hard for me. Degeneration can really damp down any healing. Shroud just removes runes from being options. Aura is hard to move around.

Have better system Mastery - takes some time but there are nuances that you just don't think about or are not really well called out until later discussions. For example, Catharsis heals +4 and reduces a condition by 1. Each of those (heal, reduce condition) are sources and can go after different targets, including enemies. So you could, say, heal your buddy and reduce the aura condition on a foe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:26 am 

Everything Raleel said plus...

RE: Environments
In Lords of the Ash we have a new combatant type which is the environment. It gets it own initiative tile(s) and during the environment's turn "stuff" happens.

Knockback
Power Over Wind and similar powers will isolate a combatant rather easily. Dark Juxtaposition also works well.

Shroud
Remember that Shroud works both ways, so a Shrouded dweller will be harder to heal with targeted (non-Ara) Heal powers.

Denizen Mix
If you feel comfortable, try and use more than one type of enemy. A good party mix of denizens will prove much more challenging than predictable powers on X denizens.

Use generic actions
Place your enemies adjacent to dweller casters and poke/interrupt their spells. Go last in the round, and grab the warrior's weapon? No runes left to counter the grab? Too bad! ;)

Note: If you find a vulnerability, don't exploit it over and over again. Grabbing a warrior's main weapon is hillarious the first time you do it, but starts to become annoying if it keeps happening every combat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:23 pm 

Mostly all have been said. But they can't have all type of damage defence in you group. You can vary the type of damage, do some mental and spiritual damage. Also for the Environments, I tend to go 1 initiative tile per 2 or 3 dweller. This make a challenge for my players.