Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm 

Dear fellow Norns,

Apologies in advance for asking questions which I'm sure have been answered before; I tried to check the page before, but I'm sure I missed something. I am starting my first FOTN campaign as a first time norn with all first time players (I bought the corebook at PAX South, and know no local players). I am starting with low level (level 8) players, and am trying to create a sandbox-esque experience where the dwellers feel as though they have at least some control over where the story goes without completely overwhelming me. I was wondering if there was advice about

1) Making branching campaigns (this story is currently starting in Shetland, based around the discovery of a lost descendent of Kveldulf)

2) Making use of character backstories, traits, and social connections in effective ways

3) Balancing combat and non-combat encounters

4) building a story that creates hooks for multiple characters.

Thanks for the help, and for an awesome core book.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:29 am 

Will D wrote:
Dear fellow Norns,

Apologies in advance for asking questions which I'm sure have been answered before; I tried to check the page before, but I'm sure I missed something. I am starting my first FOTN campaign as a first time norn with all first time players (I bought the corebook at PAX South, and know no local players). I am starting with low level (level 8) players, and am trying to create a sandbox-esque experience where the dwellers feel as though they have at least some control over where the story goes without completely overwhelming me. I was wondering if there was advice about

welcome!

Will D wrote:
1) Making branching campaigns (this story is currently starting in Shetland, based around the discovery of a lost descendent of Kveldulf)

I use mind mapping software and map players in it, give them real motivations, and play stuff outside of the player's view. This helps mine branch and introduce unexpected elements

Will D wrote:
2) Making use of character backstories, traits, and social connections in effective ways

I recommend the above mind mapping software. the backstories and social connections become nodes on the map. I leave it to the players to figure out their traits :) But mostly I try to allow more than one way to skin the cat.

Will D wrote:
3) Balancing combat and non-combat encounters

this is really whatever your group prefers. Probably best to deal with this by talking with them. I try not to force a combat at all, and let them do it. Sometimes they seem intent, or don't take the bait to not - I give them until the third unsocial thing then physical conflict may start.

Will D wrote:
4) building a story that creates hooks for multiple characters.

Thanks for the help, and for an awesome core book.

again, the mind map works for me. i look for links that reasonably could exist and turn the adventure into those - discovering them, dealing with the ramifications, walking along them, forging them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:37 pm 

THanks!