Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Forum rules


No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 am
Posts: 4
Dear fellow Norns,

Apologies in advance for asking questions which I'm sure have been answered before; I tried to check the page before, but I'm sure I missed something. I am starting my first FOTN campaign as a first time norn with all first time players (I bought the corebook at PAX South, and know no local players). I am starting with low level (level 8) players, and am trying to create a sandbox-esque experience where the dwellers feel as though they have at least some control over where the story goes without completely overwhelming me. I was wondering if there was advice about

1) Making branching campaigns (this story is currently starting in Shetland, based around the discovery of a lost descendent of Kveldulf)

2) Making use of character backstories, traits, and social connections in effective ways

3) Balancing combat and non-combat encounters

4) building a story that creates hooks for multiple characters.

Thanks for the help, and for an awesome core book.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:53 pm
Posts: 971
Will D wrote:
Dear fellow Norns,

Apologies in advance for asking questions which I'm sure have been answered before; I tried to check the page before, but I'm sure I missed something. I am starting my first FOTN campaign as a first time norn with all first time players (I bought the corebook at PAX South, and know no local players). I am starting with low level (level 8) players, and am trying to create a sandbox-esque experience where the dwellers feel as though they have at least some control over where the story goes without completely overwhelming me. I was wondering if there was advice about


welcome!

Will D wrote:
1) Making branching campaigns (this story is currently starting in Shetland, based around the discovery of a lost descendent of Kveldulf)


I use mind mapping software and map players in it, give them real motivations, and play stuff outside of the player's view. This helps mine branch and introduce unexpected elements

Will D wrote:
2) Making use of character backstories, traits, and social connections in effective ways


I recommend the above mind mapping software. the backstories and social connections become nodes on the map. I leave it to the players to figure out their traits :) But mostly I try to allow more than one way to skin the cat.

Will D wrote:
3) Balancing combat and non-combat encounters


this is really whatever your group prefers. Probably best to deal with this by talking with them. I try not to force a combat at all, and let them do it. Sometimes they seem intent, or don't take the bait to not - I give them until the third unsocial thing then physical conflict may start.

Will D wrote:
4) building a story that creates hooks for multiple characters.

Thanks for the help, and for an awesome core book.


again, the mind map works for me. i look for links that reasonably could exist and turn the adventure into those - discovering them, dealing with the ramifications, walking along them, forging them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 am
Posts: 4
THanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group