Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Swarms
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:28 am 

So planning the next session which will see me needing to manage at least 10 opponents at one time, and potentially various Gated bad guys, I sat back and thought... yea A. I don't have enough combat boards B. Or Runes.

So I went back to re-read the Swarm rules in LotA...turns out that what I meant by a Horde and what the rules meant by a Swarm were not quite aligned.... and thankfully so....now I can manage that combat in 2 swarms and 2-3 single baddies ...phew!

However...how is health calculated, or is it just decided based on what I feel is challenging.

Now to see if works tomorrow :D

Post subject: Re: Swarms
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:05 am 

How can we help? What are your biggest challenges? Let's see how we can address them with some Swarm Rules tweaks.

If you look to adjust health, it's something quite dynamic. You start with a bag of X runes, if you see your horde needs reinforcements, you can add more runes to the bag and a few more figs to the edge of the horde. What we realized with some more test plays is that the swarm needs to be contiguous. If someone is split off by a knockback, they are "killed". The contiguous group allows more "realism" when you use the full Destiny for the attack. If they are together, it makes sense that they overrun the dweller, but if you have them as 5 separate entities, then players question how one entity gets to use the full destiny while the others stand around like kung-fu bad-guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:17 am 

andrew wrote:
How can we help? What are your biggest challenges? Let's see how we can address them with some Swarm Rules tweaks.

If you look to adjust health, it's something quite dynamic. You start with a bag of X runes, if you see your horde needs reinforcements, you can add more runes to the bag and a few more figs to the edge of the horde. What we realized with some more test plays is that the swarm needs to be contiguous. If someone is split off by a knockback, they are "killed". The contiguous group allows more "realism" when you use the full Destiny for the attack. If they are together, it makes sense that they overrun the dweller, but if you have them as 5 separate entities, then players question how one entity gets to use the full destiny while the others stand around like kung-fu bad-guys.

This makes the swarm into a sort of moving Alka, actually. Not only that, it makes it very close to a larger than normal critter. There is not a lot of difference between a size 22 critter and a 6 hex occupying swarm at that point. They both can act anywhere along their size (though there may be a rear arc). The big difference is that multi and area affect the swarm differently, I would think. Functionally those become very powerful amplifies (multi affects +2 guys, which is similar to 2x amplifies on the big critter). Additionally, a swarm can be in the rear arc of anything along its length, where as a large critter can't necessarily (unless it is deliberately wide and narrow).

This makes me think of Swarm becoming a passive similar to Verdant Size. A hex increase with some limiting factors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:01 pm 

So.

I ran 2 swarms.

Both were level 13 Sovereign Wights.

Base Destiny 4 / Base Essence 5

5 in each group.

Some thoughts and stuff

1. Conditions. The players ability to shut down a big monster with one Alka has become a bit irritating, Swarms fixed that! Size Five meant a condition
needed 3 levels to have any effect. We decided that friendly conditions should also apply in the same manner, for example Shroud made sense that
it was harder to hide a swarm than a single guy, and that worked well

2. However once a condition was in place, the idea of how it was removed was less simple, using one Rune to drop a condition by one level seemed
overly cheap!

3. Likewise resisting with one rune seemed a bit cheap. Though we did multiply condition based damage by the swarm size. which
hurt!

4. I didn't move the swarm as a mass, but as single models, which worked fine, but did mean I was picking and choosing which of the bad guys
was going to be the one using each power. Not an issue over all as staying or even starting in a clump was just going to be a bad idea.

5. On the upside this did mean the players could go after individual targets and apply damage / conditions etc to the whole swarm, when a
swarm member died I killed the target before any others.

6. Essence / Life : I used the created creatures Essence multiplied by the swarm size. Killed one each time that value ended in the death pile.
So five by five = 25 life for the swarm

7. Destiny : I added one Destiny for every 2 swarm members beyond the first, and dropped one every time two were killed. So Destiny of 4+2 = 6
for the swarm

So overall it went really well and gave my bad guys a lot more sustainability without over powering them, and I didn't suffer from the usual
issue of having one mega big bad guy that got nailed fast by Alkas and other powers rendering them useless within the first round. The condition
resistance is the big boost. Plus being able to play a fairly crowded and tactically complex battle without the need for masses of run boards :-)

Mental damage though was not so clear in the rules. Though my swarms did not take any until they were down to a couple of
wights left in a swarm anyway.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:28 pm 

One a side note, the Resistance passives are once per round things, so if a Swarm has resistance 2, hitting it 3 times with the same condition would get through.

One thing that wasn't clear to us from LotA rules: If you hit several members of a swarm with a multi, or area spell, would you apply damage once, or once per member hit? Likewise for a condition: If you hit 3 members with +1 intensity, have you effectively inflicted +3 to the swarm?

Finally once we managed to get Degenerate on a swarm, it wasn't too obvious how to apply damage: Once, or once per member?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:28 am 

Sweet Jesus I lost my long reply. Will reply later :cry: